Due to the recent increase in applications from families interested in adopting from India, we are temporarily closing our India program to new applications from families interested in adopting children under 4 years of age. We are thrilled by the current interest levels in our program, especially from within the NRI community. However, due to our concerns about providing the best possible service to all of our clients and completing adoptions within reasonable time frame, we have decided to take a deliberate and far-sighted approach. We will reassess our ability to reopen the program on a monthly basis. When we are able to accept new families we will post that information immediately on our website.
We will continue to accept applications from families who are interested in adopting children over 4 years old or families interested in a special needs child. (You can see the available waiting children here.)
We understand that there are families who have already received application packets from us and who intend to apply. Those who received an application and informational packet prior to August 12, 2008 can continue with the process. Please be aware that the wait times quoted to you at the time of your initial inquiry may have changed.
We appreciate your understanding and encourage you to contact us with questions regarding this temporary situation.
India Waiting Children
Our India Waiting Children program currently has several children in need of loving homes. We are looking for families whose home studies are in process or completed. Married couples or singles are eligible to adopt. Visit our India Waiting Children Program.
At A Glance
- Married couples and single women can adopt.
- Couples should be married at least 5 years with some case-by-case flexibility. For couples: minimum age of 30, maximum age of 55.
- For singles: minimum age of 30, maximum age of 55.
- For infants (available to Overseas Citizen of India/Non-resident Indian families only), couples must have a combined age of 90 or younger and at least one parent (single or married) cannot be older than 42 years
- For NRI/OCI families: Children w/out special needs, mostly female, referred at approximately 6-18 months of age. Some toddlers, older children, and occasionally sibling groups are also available. NRI families may visit child prior to acceptance.
- Non-Indian Families: Children w/out special needs, ages 7 years and older. Special needs children 0-12 years of age.
- OCI/NRI families: for children under two years old, usually 6 to 12 months after dossier submission.
- Non-OCI/NRI families: wait is variable for children under 7 with special needs. For children age 7+ (w/out special needs) referral timeframe is generally 0-6 months.
Travel approximately 4-7 months after acceptance of referral
|Travel: One or both parent(s) may travel; approximately 7-10 day trip.
Your MAPS India Adoption Staff
Jenny Mills, LMSW, began working for MAPS in 1994. Jenny coordinates both our India and Nepal programs. Jenny has traveled to India and Nepal with MAPS numerous times. She has also counseled birthmothers in our domestic adoption program, has prior professional experience working in public health and with Portland’s refugee community.
Phone: (207) 775-4101
Jen McKane, BA, began at MAPS in 2001 in the Russia program. Jen states “My terrific brother, Chris, was adopted from India when I was twelve. The adoption took a year longer than expected and was filled with hurdles and roadblocks along the way. The adoption experience affected me profoundly and instilled me with a deep sense of empathy for adoptive families. I always knew I wanted to work helping other wonderful kids find their families."
For a complete information packet about our services, our adoption programs (domestic and international), and the adoption process, please complete the form below.